This recipe was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I had to go to the hospital. Nothing serious, I'm just sick! Sorry for the delay. Anyway, I'd never made candy apples until these and I'd always wanted to. I thought that these were adorable. Give me any recipe that mixes apples and pumpkins during the month of October and I'm in. I hope you all enjoy these as much as I did!
Ingredients: apples, large kabob or popsicle sticks, orange gel food coloring, green and orange frosting, 1 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of light corn syrup, parchment paper, candy thermometer
1. Prepare by washing the apples and laying down parchment paper onto the plate/container that apples will be placed on.
2. Remove the stems from the apples and stick the kabob/popsicle sticks into the center of the apples.
3. In a pot on stove top, combine sugar, light corn syrup and water.
4. Stir mixture on high heat until it starts to boil.
5. Once mixture is boiling, stop stirring and place candy thermometer into the pot.
6. Once the mixture reaches 285 degrees Farenheit, lower the heat and put orange food coloring into the mix. (How much food coloring you should use really just depends. Start by adding 1/2 tsp and continue to add more to get the color you like.)
7. Dip apples into the candy mixture. Make sure each apple is completely covered. & Dip apples as quickly as possible.
8. Then, let the excess mixture drip off of the apple back into the pot.
9. Next, place the apple on parchment paper and let dry.
10. Use orange icing to draw lines down the apple, to imitate that of a pumpkin.
11. Then, use green icing to draw a circle around the top of the apple, to imitate a pumpkin's stem and leaves.
12. Let the frosting on the apples dry and you are finished! Enjoy your "pumpkin" apples with some friends and fall fun!