These patriotic cookies were inspired by two recipes. The first, a firecracker cookie recipe and the second, a recipe for s'more cookies. I decided to combine them to make Firecracker S'more Cookies! I thought they'd be the perfect treat for an outdoor Fourth of July celebration!
Ingredients: 1 cup of butter, vegetable oil, softened to room temperature, 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of water, 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs, 2 teaspoons of cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, marshmallows cut in half, a bag of Hershey kisses, red and blue sprinkles
1. Begin by crushing up enough graham crackers to fill up 1/2 of a cup. You should only need a few graham crackers for this. (You will use these later on for the mixture)
2. Slice the marshmallows in half so they will be ready to use later on.
3. Mix the butter and the brown sugar together.
4. Next, mix in the eggs, vanilla and water until the mixture is smooth.
5. In another bowl, mix the flour, graham cracker crumbs, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
6. Now, combine both mixtures and stir until the batter is smooth throughout.
7. Then, pour sprinkles into the batter and stir. The more sprinkles you use, the more visible the colors will be in the cookies.
8. Grease a cookie sheet with vegetable oil.
9. Place small balls of dough onto the cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 to 9 minutes.
10. Remove the pan and place a half marshmallow slice on each cookie.
11. Then place the cookie sheet back in the oven for about two minutes. Don't leave the sheet in the oven for too long because the cookies might burn and the marshmallows might melt.
12. Remove the sheet from the oven and immediately press a Hershey kiss into each marshmallow.
13. Let cookies cool for a few minutes before you devour them and enjoy!