Ombre is all the rage and I'm loving the trend for fall! A few weeks ago when I was at Teen Vogue's event, I saw so many chic ombre fur vests. I decided to take my own cream fur vest and make it a project. It took a short amount of time to complete and I loved the result! Follow the steps to make an ombre vest of your own!
Materials: faux fur vest (preferably white or cream), gloves, stainless steel pot, RIT dye (in the color of your choice), towel, spoon
FYI: You can get RIT dye at any craft store like Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Jo-Ann Fabrics
1. Fill a stainless steel pot with warm water and set it on a stove burner. Then wait until the water begins to boil.
2. Put gloves on. The dye is an eye irritant so it's important to keep your gloves on the entire time that you're working with the RIT dye.
3. Pour the RIT dye into the water and mix the dye around with a spoon.
4. Submerge the bottom half of the vest into the water and hold it there. How long you leave it in the water is up to you. The longer you keep the vest in the water, the darker the color will be. (The water will be very hot, be careful not to burn your hands!)
5. When you're happy with the color of the vest, take it out of the pan and quickly rinse it with cool water. (Remember the color will appear darker while it's wet.)
6. Lay the vest on a towel and let it dry for about 12 hours.
7. Make sure you clean the pot, spoon and any other surface that was touched by the RIT dye with bleach and water. (The dye is toxic so be sure to thoroughly clean all of your materials!)
8. When your vest is dry, rock your new look and be right on trend!